Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Benefits of Kale


My cholesterol count has been high for several years. Every year, the nurse practitioner tells me, "Exercise. And watch your diet." Next year, same thing.

I've tried other people's remedies, such as red yeast rice or oatmeal with almonds, to no avail. This morning i read about the cholesterol-lowering ability of steamed kale. Steaming kale for 5 minutes makes it 42% as effective as a prescription drug.

I have 3 varieties of kale growing in my winter garden--red Russian, lacinato (or dinosaur), and redbor, a very curly red. Apparently my cholesterol-lowering Rx is standing right there in the garden.

1 comment:

  1. Hi -

    I had elevated cholesterol a number of years ago. My then nutritionist put me on policosanol. That and eliminating the ice cream and butter that I was overeating did the trick.

    ReplyDelete