Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Burying the Sword

For Christmas, a friend gave me a bronze figure that she thought was a Buddha. Something she picked up at a yard sale. The figure holds his/her hands in the namaste position. When i looked closely, i could see that the figure is wearing a hood, which leads me to suspect that this is a Christian saint.

The saint figure is attached to a small scimitar-type blade that looks rather dangerous. Is this a letter opener?

Since the praying hands and the dangerous knife convey conflicting messages, i decided to bury the sword in a flowerpot. Now one of my houseplants has a praying saint of whatever denomination standing in it quite peaceably..

Can we bury the sword? Can we forgive? Forgiveness is an incredibly important practice. It can begin as easily as "I forgive myself for not understanding...." Just roll that around in your meditation for 10 and 20 minutes and see what comes up.

Relief!


No comments:

Post a Comment