Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tapping into Happiness


With daytime temperatures above freezing and nighttime temperatures below freezing, the sap is starting to run. It's time to tap the sugar maples.

My Dharma friend, Vera tapped 22 trees in her yard yesterday. My farmer-neighbor taps 147 trees on my property while he himself has thousands of taps. It takes 40 gallons of sap to boil down to 1 luscious golden gallon of maple syrup.

Sometimes, it feels like it takes 40 years of life to distill ourselves into the person we want to be, but haven't quite dared.

My life began at 40 when i followed my bliss and wrote a book. For my friend, Trudy, life began at 60 when she left an abusive marriage.

Do we just let dissatisfaction boil our lives away? How do we finally tap into sweet happiness?

There are 2 kinds of happiness:
Surface Happiness--when we get what we want, and
the Deep Happiness of contentment with life, regardless of our outer circumstances.

The first step to finding deep happiness is to practice gratitude every day. Notice, really notice the people, things, and situations in your life for which you are truly grateful.
Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment