Saturday, June 30, 2018

I Trapped A Groundhog

I went to my vegetable garden yesterday to plant some beans and was startled by a brown furball rushing out of the weeds to the opposite side of the garden (more weeds).

Just last week, the gardener had put up a new fence with 1/4-inch holes, so i knew the groundhog (aka woodchuck) wasn't going through the fence. I looked at the gate, and sure enough, it had come under the gate.

Two weeks ago i bought a groundhog Havaheart trap, but couldn't figure out where to put it. I ran back to the house, got the trap and some watermelon slices out of the fridge to bait it with. I placed it inside the garden, on the ground in front of the gate. Thirty minutes later, a groundhog was inside it.

Like the groundhog, we dig our way into our confined lives and assume that's all there is. We can be fairly happy (or not) in our routine lives. There is a possibility of escape--in Zen it's called the gateless gate.

I released the groundhog 5 miles away from home in a town forest.

Freedom.



No comments:

Post a Comment