Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Baked Kale Leaves

Kale is the only vegetable remaining in my garden, and i'm in a race with the deer to see who gets it first.

I heard about a recipe where you de-rib the kale, spray it with olive oil, and bake it in the oven for a few minutes. It comes out crunchy, and therefore fun to eat. Yes, it looks like i raked the lawn and put the pile of leaves in a salad bowl, but it definitely tastes like kale. Think of it as "kale chips." Pretty soon, i will acquire the taste for them and be sneaking into them for snacking.

We can bring this same inventiveness to our meditation practices. If you tire of watching the breath at the nostrils, watch the breath at your jaw, your throat, your gut. I like to watch the breath at my left shoulder because i can feel a thought coming on before it actually arrives. (Your body will be different.) My left shoulder is my early warning system, like the monitors at the train station that tell you how many minutes until the next train arrives. My left shoulder tells me the next train of thought will be arriving within 2 seconds.

Kale can get to be boring when it's the only vegetable on the dinner plate night after night.
Bake it! You'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment