Monday, August 6, 2012

Burrowing

A groundhog has taken up residence 10 feet away from my vegetable garden. Sometimes i wish i lived 10 feet away from my grocery store!

I can see the well-worn path from the burrow to the garden fence. I suppose the groundhog piglets go straight through the fence, even though the fence's holes are quite narrow.

My makeshift garden gate has been bent out of shape by parent groundhogs who easily burrow under it. I've lost all my beans, cucumbers, broccoli, cabbage, and Brussel sprouts to groundhogs and voles.

What burrows into our life and steals the fruit of our spiritual path?

Summer is wonderful for all the vacations and mini-vacations and company, but all the comings and goings can impact our meditation practice.

We may not immediately notice the loss of the fruits of our meditation practice. What is it, specifically, that you lose when you don't meditate?

I lose an easy-going-ness, and i become more irritable on days when i don't meditate.  A friend who meditates to reduce her blood pressure loses her calmer blood pressure.

Now it's time to take another look at that groundhog burrow :)

Photo from animalcontrolmichigan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment