Saturday, July 23, 2016

A New Food Dryer

I went to my local hardware store to buy a food dryer. Well, i already have a food dryer--a wooden box the size of an apartment refrigerator that my brother-in-law built for me 30 years ago and powered by four 100-watt lightbulbs.

I wanted one of those round models that sits on the countertop. In a small town, the hardward store is small, but usually has everything i need. As i was checking out, i sighed, "I'm looking for a food dryer, but i couldn't find one."

The clerk looked up and across the store to the kitchenware department. "There's one on the top shelf," he said. "Do you want some help in getting it down?"

Oh, the long view is so important. I had perused the kitchen equipment shelves twice and not seen the food dryer. Yet, from his vantage point, 60 feet away, the clerk could see it.
When i'm tangled up with the wants and don't-wants of my daily life, i can't see the long view. Then, a week, a month, a year later, Oh.... Yes, that happened perfectly, as it turned out. Even though i wanted something else at the time.

Today, i'm drying raspberries, and i'm pretty sure those will taste great a few months from now.


No comments:

Post a Comment