One bulb in one pot of hyacinths had buried its head in the dirt and was growing into and under the soil. I pried its pale, pale green leaves out of the dirt this morning.
We too sometimes bury our heads in the sand. We don't want to look. We don't want to see. We don't want to acknowledge the truth of the present moment.
The Buddha recommends 5 Daily Reflections to help us work against this tendency to not want to acknowledge true life.
- I am of the nature to grow old. Aging is unavoidable.
- I am of the nature to become ill. Sickness is unavoidable.
- I am of the nature to die. Death is inevitable.
- Everything i cherish will change and vanish.
- Karma is the only thing i own.