Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bleeding Hearts


My hospice client, D, died on Saturday, and i am sending sympathy cards to her husband, to her daughter, and to her son.

Sometimes, i make my own cards, using photos of flowers in my garden. For sympathy cards, i particularly like to use pictures of bleeding hearts. In my garden, i have both the pink and the white varieties.

Death comes to all of us. Sometimes suddenly. Sometimes slowly. I had been seeing D for 6-1/2 years.

Grief comes to those who loved the deceased. D is no longer here. I will not be going to see her on Tuesday afternoons. I contemplate the mystery of "gone." Gone where? the mind wants to know. Gone where every other person, animal, and plant goes.

The mind goes on remembering and asking unanswerable questions, trying to protect the heart, which if not bleeding exactly, is weeping for its loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment