Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Christmas Cactus in January


My Christmas cactus is in full bloom. Hmmm. What to call it? I've heard of Thanksgiving cactus and Easter cactus. Shall i call it Martin Luther King cactus?

Christmas cactus are short-day plants whose blooming is triggered by 14 hours or more of darkness.

My neighbor, Connie, keeps her Christmas cactus beside the sliding glass door in her basement. Since she's not in her basement at night, her Christmas cactus enjoy the cool dark and begin blooming at Thanksgiving.

My Christmas cactus live in the solarium off my living room where the lights can go on and off at any time of day. (I often read before i meditate in the living room at 4:00 a.m. After meditation, i turn on the lights again and write this blog.) My Christmas cactus, like me, find it difficult to get uninterrupted sleep--and they need 14 hours of it. So they're not blooming until after the Christmas tree with all of its lights has left the vicinity.

So it is with meditation. Some of us bloom early, some late, and some in the middle. Whenever it is, it's "just right" for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment