Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Change of Seasons


Yesterday i refurbished my front step. I brought all the flowering pots indoors, swept off the stoop and the steps, and began arranging pots of mums, a pumpkin, and 2 dozen birdhouse gourds. This rearrangement is my formal acknowledgment of the change of seasons.

The lush pots of overflowing flowers and vines, of many varieties, are now inside. Outside, the front steps look rather like a monoculture by comparison.

Isn't this what we hope for as our own seasons change? By the time we reach the autumn of our life, our exterior may look only nominally like it used to. But inside, we want a lush harvest of wisdom, calm, and equanimity.

Living an authentic life and living an ethical life leads us closer to our intention. Practicing kindness--to ourselves and others--is the first step to awakening in our lives.

I'm going to be kind to my solarium full of plants and water them this sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment