Thursday, October 8, 2015

Sweet Potato Happiness

Sweet Potato seedlings--sold bare-root in a bunch
In June, i bought sweet potato starts at our local farmstand. I just harvested my first crop of sweet potatoes! I feel thrilled to discover a new vegetable for the garden, and an easy one too.

Because i planted them too close together, my sweet potatoes are the size of carrots. Still, they taste delicious.

We keep the garden of our mind fresh, and even thrilling, by experimenting with new meditations. Currently, i'm teaching a class on Hardwiring Happiness. My new practice is to focus on a happy-making thing for 30 seconds. Like sweet potatoes.

Yes, sweet potatoes may be a mundane happiness, maybe only 3 on a scale of 10. Still i pay attention to that little happiness for as long as i can. A little smile comes to my lips. I breath that tiny ember of happiness throughout my body.

Sweet potatoes. New happiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment