Sunday, April 5, 2015

Elixir for the Mind

On my way home from the retreat center, i stopped at the garden store to buy a tap and a bucket so i can tap one of the sugar maples in my front yard. The sugaring season is essentially over, but the forecast calls for a few more freezing nights. I'm not collecting sap to make maple syrup. I just want to drink the sap straight. All those minerals have to be good for you--a spring elixir to clean out the winter sludge.

My month-long March retreat cleaned the sludge out of my mind. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu, an American monk, says: "The subconscious is like a flooded basement. When you meditate, the water level goes down."

We can detoxify our bodies. We can also detoxify our minds. Sign up for a retreat now.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes just slowing down can help. I have had jobs that did not need intense concentration and some of my best ideas came through at those times. Those thoughts came from a higher power in my opinion. You just have to clear your mind to hear them.

    ReplyDelete