Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Rest the Body

Nonnie, Christmas, 1985
My gardening grandmother, who was crippled by arthritis for the last 30 years of her life, often chuckled that she had a hitch in her git-along. Now i have a hitch in my git-along too. I can't even bend over. Oh! It is so hard to look at the garden and not be able to do anything. I can't pull a weed or transplant tomatoes or.... anything.

The Buddha recommends the Five Daily Reflections to us:
  1. I am of the nature to become old. Aging is inevitable.
  2. I am of the nature to become ill (and have a hitch in my git-along).
  3. I am of the nature to die. Death is unavoidable.
  4. Everything i cherish (like the garden) will change and vanish.
  5. My actions are the only thing i own.
I'm focused on the body this week--aging and not doing what the mind wants it to do. The relationship between body and mind becomes clear: the mind orders the body around and the body thoughtlessly obeys, until it just can't do it. The body sends pain signals, which the mind responds to with impatience. The mind throws a tantrum. But this is so inconvenient! I want my functioning body back!

The body has been the slave of the mind for all these years. The body is aging. The body has been stressed and strained. The body wants to rest.

Rest in the garden. Rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment