Thursday, May 30, 2019

Gardening A Mile an Hour

Image result for fitbit in garden
This month of May i've spent about 25 hours a week gardening. My fitbit tells me i walk about a mile an hour while i'm gardening. That means some days, i'm walking (i.e., gardening) 6 miles.

Some friends who visit my garden tell me, "Oh, it looks like so much work." Work-out is more like it. I've dropped out of my twice-weekly exercise class this month, where i march in place about a mile an hour with 2 pound weights in each hand. Would i rather workout indoors? Or outdoors?

You'd have to twist my arm to get me to walk 5 miles a day. But spend 5 hours in the garden and thereby walk 5 miles? No problem.

"Skillful means" is the way to accomplish your intention using a perhaps-unexpected route. I am not by nature an exerciser, but the way to get my exercise done is simply go out to the garden. That's where the exercise happens by itself--without me doing a thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment