Thursday, February 17, 2011

1-800-CATALOG

I'm pawing through my box of spring flower catalogs, looking at all the pretty pictures and salivating at the delicious vegetable names. Then, i realize, i have never, ever placed an order with this particular company. Why don't i save a tree and take myself off the mailing list?

I call 1-800-whatever-their-number-is and press 5 for customer service. When i hear a live person on the other end of the phone, i say, "Can you take me off your mailing list?"

Limiting my inventory of catalogs is a form of renunciation. I think of it as voluntary simplicity. I am simplifying my life, and simplifying the company's mailing list too. Perhaps i can save a few tree branches, if not an entire tree.

Voluntary simplicity reduces my stress, and also the stress on my bookshelf, which is groaning under the weight of all those catalogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment