Sunday, September 23, 2012

Basil Pesto

I'm making pesto, 1/2 pint at a time. I go out to the garden, harvest a few branches of basil, bring them into the kitchen, and grind them up in the food processor with olive oil.

In the past, i have overwhelmed myself by picking too much basil at once, then getting distracted, and eventually returning to a basket full of wilted leaves.

The small-steps method means more steps out to the garden and back, but, for me, it's more strategic than the extravaganza method of harvesting 3 or 4 basil bushes and then being overwhelmed.

Mindfulness leads us to small steps of insight and gradually awakens us so that we can let go of one stressor and then another.

I'm letting go of the idea that i have to harvest all my basil before frost. One branch at a time, one half pint at a time. So far i've frozen a gallon of pesto.

Photo from www.greenmarketrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment