Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My Only Child in the December Garden


I love harvesting vegetables from the snowy winter garden. There's not much out there, true. But fresh, really fresh vegetables in December? It's a miracle. Even if it is kale, kale, kale.

Oh, i complained about kale just a year ago, but i've made my peace with it. After all, it's my only child, right now. My December-garden child.

A line from the Metta Sutta on loving-kindness says,
Even as a mother protects with her life,
her child, her only child,
so with a boundless heart,
should one cherish all living beings.

That includes cherishing kale.

Who is one person you are not so fond of whom you could practice (i said "practice") cherishing today. Imagine this irritating person as a child--as a baby, as a 3-year-old, as a first-grader, as a 10-year-old.

It's difficult to love them at their current age, but look past that into their inner child. They may have forgotten their inner child, but that's no reason for you not to see them as they were. And, at some level, still are. Hurting, and acting unskillfully, perhaps.

I am loving my kale, even with its strong flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment