Friday, July 26, 2013

BEET GREENS FOR BREAKFAST by Guest Blogger, Maggie Lake

(Maggie, our guest blogger, is about to receive a bone marrow transplant.)


Beet Greens for Breakfast will definitely be the title of one of my chapters in my memoirs. I have just consumed a large bowl of beet greens slathered with butter and salt. People complain that they taste like dirt. and they do. Which is why i ate them today for breakfast. 
 
The transplant team as of yesterday has cut me off from the gardens, the studio, little children (germs, germs and more germs). and so, this morning, i have been bowing down to the dirt one last time, thinning beets, snapping off garlic scapes by the dozens, picking Japanese beetles off pepper and eggplants, thinning rows of carrots, picking sugar snap peas and doing one last asparagus harvest. and eating dirt. one last sniff of peonies and iris. remove all houseplants and cut flowers from the house. 
 
Once again, it's time to shift my PURPOSE, this time from gardener to transplant warrior, writer, baker, seamstress, painter, reader, maybe pick up the fiddle again.... Wow, the possibilities are wide open. 
 
My relationship with the gardens will now change to observer of the fruits of my labors. i am heading into the unknown, but who isn't?        love, maggie

1 comment:

  1. Taste like dirt!? Not my beet greens! More like nutty, sweet, and vibrant things!

    However, I might just have a lot of dirt in my mouth to begin with!

    ReplyDelete