Saturday, February 8, 2014

More is Too Much

Oops.
I wanted more. And, boy, did i get more!

I found 2 hyacinth forcing vases at the thrift shop yesterday, and as i was storing them away in my vases cabinet, i discovered a dozen hyacinths inside the cabinet, blooming in the dark. Yes, their leaves were the palest green, practically white. And the flowers were stooped over, the flower stalk having hit the "ceiling" of the shelf above.

"Be careful what you ask for," conventional wisdom tells us. Yesterday i wanted more, and, sister, i got more.

What, really, do we do with our "more"?
More clothes. More flowers. More food. More knickknacks.

As my neighbor, Whit, wisely said when we were talking about a wealthy person's McMansion:
"You can only sit in one chair at a time."

We can only wear one coat, one sweater, one undershirt at a time.
We can only drive one car at a time.
We can only smell one flower at a time.

And the more? More is actually quite stressful. Take a close look.
I can tell you, a dozen bent-over blooming hyacinths are stressing me.

1 comment:

  1. In the same vein, my Mormor used to say, "You can only sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a time."

    ReplyDelete