Monday, February 24, 2014

The Joy of Giving

I've gotten a whole month of blooms from those hyacinths in vases, but now they are nearly all gone. So i turn my attention to the 25 pots of hyacinths and tulips that have been living in my garage since November. One by one i'm bringing them indoors, and one pot has begun to sprout.

You could say i am a flower localvore. Instead of buying cut flowers at the grocery store, i'm growing my own. And i must say, these hyacinths and tulips are bringing me a lot of happiness. I even love to see them sprouting, before they have any flowers at all.

The Buddha tells us:
Giving brings happiness at every stage of its expression.
We experience joy in forming the intention to be generous,
we experience joy in the actual act of giving something,
and we experience joy in remembering the fact that we have given.

I have so enjoyed the intention--planting the bulbs and "hiding" them in the basement or garage. (Feels sort of like a Secret Santa.)
I also enjoy the intention of bringing them indoors and watching them sprout.

I definitely get a kick out of giving away the hyacinths and soon the tulips.

And i do love the thought of all those spent hyacinth bulbs being planted in the ground in dozens of friends' gardens about a month from now.

Joy, joy, joy.
I've got joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart.


Photos from colourbox.com and heartphone.net

No comments:

Post a Comment