Saturday, May 24, 2014

Garden Clothes Fashion Statement

I went to my morning meditation group dressed in my gardening clothes. Well, okay, my socks don't match. They're gardening socks, after all.

I've recently adopted a new fashion statement: tucking my pantlegs into my socks. I live in tick territory. I go outdoors. I garden.

The very first tick prevention is to tuck your pantlegs into your socks, and now i do it every day. I've developed a new habit, an unfashionable habit. I have to dare to be different, to look different than almost everyone else. (Diana, who walks through the woods to morning meditation group, always tucks her pantlegs into her socks too.)

I'm adopting this new habit for my health.

When we adopt meditation, we have to dare to do something different, something our family and friends probably are not doing. We meditate for our health--our mental health, certainly, and sometimes for the effects on our physical health as well--lower blood pressure perhaps.

I'm going out to the garden where the ticks live, and where i live too. I tuck my pantlegs into my socks for my health, but also for the health of the ticks who will certainly die if i have to extract them from my skin.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful message. I was just discussing sartorial issues with my son, who returned from sophomore year of college wearing culotte-length palazzo pants. "I don't care what people think; they are comfortable," he says. "I like them." I am struggling with my own wants and expectations for him vs the real truth of what he is saying. He would love this posting.

    ReplyDelete