Thursday, March 14, 2013

Buying Things and Giving Them Away

While i was in Laos, i bought several silk scarves and Hmong coin purses, toiletry bags, and glasses cases. Shopping in the "night markets" of Vientiane and Luang Prabang was one big long display of eye-candy.

Now that i'm home, i put all the little silk tchotchkes in a basket and take them with me wherever i go. "Would you like a gift from Laos?" i ask my masseuse, my women's group, my writing group, my neighbors.

I enjoyed supporting the local Lao economy (by shopping), and now i'm enjoying passing those items along to women who will never travel to Laos.

Walking up at 3 a.m. this morning, i realize: Oh, i buy things in order to give them away.

This insight moves me down to my garden book bookshelf, where i load up a box with beautiful garden design books to give to my local library.

Oh! I see: I've decided to retire from designing gardens without an "I" being involved in the decision at all.

It's just time to give away that beautiful clutter that i haven't really looked at for years.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks https://www.bebee.com/producer/@monica-harper/fully-utilize-die-cut-boxes-to-enhance-your-business

    ReplyDelete