Thursday, March 21, 2013

Poppy Seeds Season

It's time to sow poppy seeds. My packets say, "Sow outdoors in earliest spring." Since today is the first day of spring, i'd say it is indeed "earliest spring."

I love the re-seeding annual Papaver somniflorum. I have pink aplenty, so i'm trying to get some purples going, like Lauren's Grape or Hungarian Breadseed.

California poppies don't do as well for me, but i keep trying anyway. This year i'm scattering Alba. It seems like Icelandic poppies should do well here in the North Country, but i haven't had luck with them either.

Figuring out which path to follow can be as challenging as deducing which plants will work in our particular microclimate and soils. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

I began with Insight (vipassana) meditation when i was 30, and that was a good fit for me, so haven't felt drawn to further seeking. Some personalities prefer the spareness of Zen, some the exotic rituals of Tibetan Vajrayana, and some the poetic kindness of Thich Nhat Hanh.


Simply walk through the door that opens for you. And sow the seeds of mindfulness and kindness as early as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment